Shop and establishment registration
Shops and Establishments Act, enacted by every state in India to regulate conditions of work and to provide for statutory obligations of the employers and rights of the employees in un-organized sector of employment and other establishments in their jurisdiction.
Which businesses come under the purview of Shops & Establishments Act?
A Commercial Establishment including:
- A commercial or trading or banking or insurance establishment, or
- An establishment or administrative service in which persons employed or mainly engaged in office work, or
- A hotel, restaurant, boarding or eating house, a cafe or any other refreshment house or
- A theater, cinema or any other place of public amusement or entertainment.
Records to be maintained for registering under S&E Act
Every business has to be maintain the following records under Shops and Establishments act:
- Approval from Department of Labor.
- Various registers giving details of employment, fines, deductions and advances, salary, holidays, etc. The names of the register may vary from state to state, and hence, it is a prudent practice to request the exact nature of documents that your state might need from your municipal corporation. Files related to annual holidays, number of employees need to be submitted at the Office of the Municipal Corporation annually.